Hello! I am Melissa, one of the Grief Counselors at Roper and Sons, and a facilitator of one of the two Grief Groups we offer. Roper and Sons Funeral Home extends multiple avenues of support to our client’s and community. Our Grief Groups have been an area of recent growth and are offered to the public as a way to help find comfort and support during the grieving process. The good news about grieving in a group setting, you don’t have to do it alone.
There are two formats to the Grief Group; the first is our “Guided Group”, a group with members whose loss took place 18 months or more in the past. The second is our “Structured Group”, a group for those whose loss took place less than 18 months ago, who are facing some of life’s “firsts” without their loved one. Besides these two groups, on the second Sunday of each month, we offer “Art with Anna”, a creative therapeutic group, where we gather to paint, craft, or otherwise create works of art that allow us a couple of hours to escape our thoughts and put our creative talents to work. The best part of Art with Anna is that you don’t have to be an artist to join!
Regardless of which group suits you and your current situation, both groups offer the following benefits:
- The opportunity to begin the healing process. Healing can begin through telling our story, our loved ones story, and hearing the stories of others.
- Emotional and physical support in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
- Reflection on feelings, working towards gaining insight and hope through companionship.
- Gaining coping skills to help get through the most difficult days in our grief journey.
- The opportunity to discover new ways and share ideas on how to keep your loved one present in our heart and memories.
- Increase our understanding of how others may grieve differently. This may help us resolve feelings towards friends and family who’s response to grief looked different than our own.
- Give yourself permission to grieve, it does us no good to continue going about our lives stuffing these feelings and pretending they are not there.
Why Should I Attend?
- Because it is hard to heal in isolation.
- Because Sundays are hard.
- Because we lost part of our support system and need to take steps to find support.
- Because in being there for each other we can find purpose in life.
If it sounds like you could benefit from our Grief Groups, please consider this a personal invitation. At Roper and Sons we want to support you through this difficult time. The grieving process is a journey that we should not have to tread alone. If you have questions about our Grief Groups don’t hesitate to contact us at 402-476-1225.
Hope to see you there!
Melissa Thorne, M. A., PLMHP